North County Recreation District became operational in 1997 following voter approval of a proposal to maintain and enhance a community center, fitness center, and pool destined for closure. The rich story of the facility we now call NCRD began long before.

The historic building, originally a school, was designed by renowned Portland architect AE Doyle and built in the early 1920’s. A 30×75 foot swimming pool, gymnasium, 300-seat auditorium and additional classrooms were added in 1930. In 1988, the local school district discontinued its use and Tillamook Bay Community College leased the facility. At the same time, the notion of a comprehensive community center came into being with various volunteer groups running aquatic, fitness, adult and youth programs. When the college withdrew as leaseholder in 1994, the volunteer groups organized to form a recreation district and NCRD was born. In 2002, NCRD acquired ownership of the property in a land swap brokered by Tillamook County.

The growing programs we provide today fulfill the vision of the early volunteer groups. It is our continued mission to promote the educational, recreational, social and physical well-being of the entire north Tillamook County community by offering activities for all ages and abilities in an inviting environment.